I have been writing my entire life, yet only began posting my work online recently. The response I have received thus far has been very positive. It's hard to
believe that while I began by writing continuing storylines for my favorite TV shows as a teenager, I am now entering contests and posting work for the world to
see. I have four novels in progress at this time, though I have not spent very much time with them due to the contests. Now that my work has been noticed, I
intend to limit the number of contests I enter so that I may concentrate on (what I consider to be) my better work.
Katkola has sponsored me as a Rising Star for 2008 (on Writing.Com). She is an angel who has helped me by reviewing my work and promoting my name on
the site. Luckily for me, the moderator agreed with her (GabriellaR45 is her site name). Gabriella has complimented my poetry more than once. With the
additional links to my work, I started receiving more hits and reviews than before.
My poem "The Cycle of Life" has won an award ribbon on Writing.com; my short story "Timeless Treasures" has also won an award ribbon.
I joined a networking site hosted by my sponsor, Kat. After joining the site, I decided to start my own group and link to hers. Hopefully, this will allow both of us to
attract members and, with the links between us, expand both of our networks. Over the next couple of weeks, I started a few other sites.
- Multiply has a few interesting writing groups. I have not decided whether I'm going to continue membership.
- MySpace became my main focus for a long time. I acquired a lot of new writer friends, writing groups, bands, and celebrities. This site will definitely
stay around for the long term.
- FanStory was the first site I joined. It is a great place for contests and to get reviews of your work, but the quality of those reviews is not quite
what I wanted. Also, the contests are determined by vote, so it is more of a popularity contest than talent. It seems to attract a "flightier"
membership while Writing.Com is more serious. I have deleted all my older writing from this site.
- XanderRiley.net - Now I'm moving things to this site. It's still a work in progress, but it will receive the majority of my time from this point on.
- Facebook - I joined FB years ago, but never really used it. I slowly started getting more involved and have now built a small presence there.
- Twitter - I'm on twitter, but I don't "tweet" much or keep up with it. Too many people post what they're having for dinner or simply random
thoughts. Not really my cup of tea.
I have also started sketching - primarily to come up with a mascot/logo for my site and my books. I love taking pictures of interesting scenery, so my
digital camera is getting a lot of use now. Soon, I will add a page to this site with some of my drawings and photographs.
My Influences and Favorites
Most of my writing is either philosophical, supernatural, sad, shocking, twisted, sarcastic, or funny - usually a combination of the above. You'll understand
why once you read about my influences in life:
- Favorite TV Shows (Current) -
- Favorite TV Show (Prior) - Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The OC, Dark Shadows, Passions, Charmed, Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next
Generation, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise, The X-Files, The Wild Wild West, Roswell, Absolutely Fabulous, Angel, Moonlight,
Stargate Atlantis, Big Brother, Stargate SG1, Prison Break, Smallville, Off the Map, No Ordinary Family, Supernatural, Nip Tuck,
Medium, Robin Hood, Twin Peaks, Ringer, Southland, Terra Nova, Chuck, Primeval, True Blood, Desperate Housewives
- Stephen King - The Stand, The Shining, Needful Things, It, Watchers
- Dean Koontz
- Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Congo
- Bentley Little - The Association, The Return
- Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time series
- Isaac Asimov - The Foundation series
- J.K. Rowling - The Harry Potter series
- J.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Return of the King
- Anne Rice - Interview With The Vampire, The Mummy, The Witches
- James Patterson - Kiss the Girls, The Silence of the Lambs
- Charlaine Harris - The Southern Vampire series (aka, The Sookie Stackhouse Novels) [Inspired the HBO series True Blood]
The Sims 2
The Sims 3
Civilization IV & V
Torchlight 1 & 2
All Spiderweb Software Games
Eschalon - Books 1, 2, & 3
Long Live the Queen
Craft the World
Tropico 1, 2, 3, & 4
Jurassic Park (all 3)
Jurassic Park - one of the greatest movies ever!
Jurassic Park: The Lost World - great movie, but slightly disappointing after the
Jurassic Park III - very good movie, redemption after the second movie
Indiana Jones (all 4) - the second movie was overdone, but all are great!
Star Trek (all) - The original, The Next Generation, Voyager, Enterprise
I never really got into Deep Space Nine, but it looked like it would be pretty
Die Hard (1, 3, & 4) - the second movie was trying too hard to reproduce the
Other Favorite Movies
The Fantastic Four
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Deep Blue Sea
A Knight's Tale
Nightmare on Elm Street (all, but the second one was the worst)
The X-Men (all)
The Day After Tomorrow
Sweet Home Alabama
Lake Placid - the first one only
As Good As It Gets
Charlie Daniels - The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Drinkin' My Baby Goodbye, The Legend of Wooley Swamp, Long Haired Country Boy, Still in
Saigon, Every Time I See Him, In America, The South's Gonna Do It Again, Stroker's Theme, Uneasy Rider
Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4, Along Comes A Woman, Hard Habit to Break, Stay the Night
Phantom Planet - California
Coldplay - Trouble
Rufus Wainright - California
The Eagles - Already Gone, The Best of My Love, Desperado, Heartache Tonight, Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, James Dean, The
Long Run, Lyin' Eyes, New Kid in Town, One of These Nights, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Take It Easy, Take It To The Limit, Witchy Woman
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, Paperback Writer
The Beach Boys - California Girls, Good Vibrations, I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama, Saturday Night Special, What's Your Name
Foreigner - Cold As Ice, Dirty White Boy, Double Vision, Feels Like The First Time, Head Games, Hot Blooded, Juke Box Hero, Urgent
Billy Joel - It's Still Rock & Roll To Me, Just The Way You Are, The Longest Time, Movin' Out, Only The Good Die Young, Piano Man, Uptown
Girl, We Didn't Start the Fire, You May Be Right
Bob Segar - Against the Wind, C'Est la Vie, Hollywood Nights, Night Moves, Old Time Rock & Roll, Still the Same, We've Got Tonight
Elton John - Bennie & The Jets, Crocodile Rock, Philadelphia Freedom, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
Others - ABBA (Take a Chance on Me), Belinda Carlisle (Heaven Is A Place On Earth), Carlos Ponce (Escuchame), Cher (If I Could Turn Back
Time), Chuck Berry (Johnny B. Goode), INXS (Need You Tonight), Jeff Buckley (Hallelujah), Jimmy Buffet (Cheeseburger In Paradise,
Margaritaville, Volcano), Joan Jett (I Love Rock N Roll), The K.G.B. (I'm A Player), Meatloaf (Paradise By The Dashboard Light, I'd Do Anything
For Love But I Won't Do That, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad), Robert Palmer (Addicted To Love, Simply Irresistible), Jace Everett (Bad Things)